Digswell Arts Print Studio provides printmaking facilities and professional support for artists and designers in a creative and vibrant environment. The print studio is based at It’s purpose built studios in Digswell, Welwyn, Hertfordshire and is large, clean, bright and fully equipped. We offer Workshops and studio hire to visiting artists and Artists proficient in printmaking techniques, and able to work independently, can also apply for print membership.
- Large Etching press – AO size – One of the largest flatbed etching presses in the country (W90cm x L220cm) suitable for a wide range of print making techniques including relief, monoprinting and intaglio. It has been in the Trust’s possession since 1957.
- Albion Press – A2 size – Suitable for Relief Processes e.g.; Lino and Woodcut.
- Continuous workbenches around two sides with shelving underneath,
- A long sink for print washing and large water bath and blotting area for dampening paper
- Rubber rollers, plastic plates (for mono print)
- A1 size drying rack
- Large glass ‘inking up’ plates
- Lockable store room for storing hazardous materials and plan chests with drawers available for members use.
- New Solar Etching Facility.
The building has full central heating and hot and cold running water.
Full disabled access with the print area on the ground floor.
We are currently operating as a ‘Safe’ print studio so there is no chemical based etching equipment set up.
Open Access Studio Hire;
Anyone with previous print experience wishing to use our Printmaking workshop can book a whole day or half day session on an ad hoc basis and benefit from working in a creative and supportive environment.
Days available for Open Access Print sessions are; Mondays and Saturdays
Whole day – 10.30 – 4.30 – fee is £25.00
Half day – 10.30 – 1.30 or 1.30 -4.30 – fee is £15
Those using the facilities for the first time would also need to do a Health and Safety Induction for an additional fee of £5.00.
Some assistance is provided with use of equipment where this is needed and numbers for these sessions is kept low, so visiting artists have excellent access to the presses and plenty of space to work.
Sundries included in the cost are: white spirit, rags, gloves, newsprint.
Oil based Etching or Litho inks are available to use at an extra cost of £5.00 per session.
Artists will need to bring their own paper.
Open Access sessions are run by Digswell Artist Sally Tyrie who has been based at the studios since 2009.
Advanced booking is essential and enquiries can be made by contacting Sally directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Studio on 014238 717765